Thursday, February 13, 2014

Be shiny on the inside, not the outside: glowy skin in the winter

Everybody needs a good powder, especially when you're all greezed up from using lots of face oils and moisturizer. I've tried a lot of powders; I like a light powder that doesn't cling to dry spots and that keeps me shine free on the t-zone for a few hours at least before needing a touch up. There are a few higher end powders I've tried that work well. I don't mind spending a little more money when it's my skin--as I've entered my forties I think skin needs even more attention and care to continue to look good. There are two powders I like: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder, which you can find in different shades at Sephora and read countless reviews about on the Internet (try temptalia.com), and Make Up For Ever's (MUFE) pressed powder. I have head great things about NARS and their powder also. 

MUFE's powder is called HD (high definition) Pressed Powder and it's like their cult favorite loose powder, only in a compact form. It doesn't have any color, but it somehow smooths and blurs out your skin so you instantly look more put together. Because it doesn't have color, it's suitable for any skin tone. I don't love loose powder because I feel like it gets everywhere and then I can't take it with me, so this is perfect. I use my big fluffy Real Techniques powder brush (awesome and available at Kohl's and some Bed, Bath and Beyonds) to put it on and set my tinted moisturizer:



So soft, it blurs away all of life's hardships 

After that I sweep some new MAC Azalea in the Afternoon mineralized blush on my cheeks--it's limited edition, a beautiful pinky-peach-gold color that needs no highlighter. Or if I want less color I'll use my Becca blush in Gypsy, a cool light pink with a slight gold shimmer--it's amazing. Or sometimes, when I am feeling particularly nutty and want super duper glowing flushed cheeks I will wear both--the MAC on the bottom and the Becca on the top. 


Becca Gypsy, a cool-toned light pink with light gold shimmer, and MAC Azalea in the Afternoon, a pinky-peach blush a bit like NARS Orgasm


Swatched on my finger--see the subtle glow? So purty. 

The trick to glowing skin in the winter is to moisturize and then lightly control shine, adding highlight strategically to the cheekbones. With these products in colors that suit your skin tone you can shine in all the right ways! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting lovelies! If you are going to be a troll please put some lippie on first so you don't scare us all ;)